We specialize in the diverse area of law that intersects the concept of consumer protection under state and federal law. If you are a consumer that has bought goods or services in Manassas, Front Royal, Winchester, or in the Shenandoah Valley, and you’ve been wronged, defrauded, or tricked, we excel at drafting lawsuits involving the following:
- State claims under the Virginia Consumer Protection Act (VCPA), the UCC, Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, and common law fraud
- Federal claims under UDAAP, which is an acronym referring to unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices by those who offer financial products or services to consumers, as well as the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and the Fair Debt Consumer Protection Act (FDCPA)
- Consumers wronged by sellers of products and services in industries that run the gambit from automobile dealers, contractors, tractor and farm supply companies and other Shenandoah Valley, Manassas, Front Royal, Winchester and other Virginia businesses
- Defense counsel to car dealers, contractors, and other businesses that need help preventing or defending claims under all aspects of Virginia and federal commercial law
- Corporate Compliance Packages and set fees for analyzing contracts, leases, advertising and collections methods
- Creative and thorough fact-finding and legal analysis of all consumer protection statutes, with an eye towards fair dealing and honest business practices
- Extensive courtroom experience in Front Royal, Winchester, Manassas and the Shenandoah Valley
Why Jarvis Law?
When we draft a lawsuit or a Complaint, we look for fact patterns that lead to statutes which provide for the recovery of treble damages and/or attorney’s fees. In other words, if we can help you and you’ve bought goods or services from a business to the east of us in Manassas, right here in Front Royal, or north in Winchester, and you’ve been wronged, we are here to help you. We will start with looking through all your contract-related documents, and we will analyze whether you have a good case that we can take to court. If you’ve been wronged and you paid money for a roof, and didn’t get what you paid for, and had a contractor disappear after taking his first draw on your new build, for example, please reach out to us.
At Jarvis Law, we started out working on cases on the side of large companies who were looking to merge and had to obtain approval from either the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the Department of Justice (DOJ). As a fledgling lawyer, Elaine Jarvis witnessed some of the most egregious companies falling apart—after they violated not only criminal statutes, but consumer protection laws as well. As a mother and a member of the community, Elaine Jarvis supports hardworking, honest businesses and has run (and continues to run) private businesses of her own.
Some businesses are not so circumspect in their dealings, and folks can get hurt as a result. It’s not fun to get cheated or taken for a ride. Elaine has had the honor and opportunity to work with some of the best consumer protection advocates and attorneys in the Commonwealth, especially in her stint at BRLS in Winchester. Her passion projects might well be the consumer protection cases she brings, often pro bono, against shady businesses. She tries to find statutory violations that provide for the recovery of attorney’s fees in these cases, and also tries very hard not to write frivolous or unjust complaints that are not merited. Elaine is proud to accept referrals from other attorneys and from legal aid organizations for consumer protection cases. If you are a consumer and you feel like you’ve been treated badly, please give us a call.